10 Ways to Lose Fat After the Holidays.
Guilty of overeating during the holidays? Here’s 10 ways to beat weight gain and get back on track.
- Set Realistic Goals. Between half to 1 kilo a week is doable. Experts suggest stopping after 5 kilos, and maintaining that loss for about six months before attempting to lose anymore.
- Drink more water. Next time you get those hunger cravings, reach for the water first. People often mistake thirst for hunger.
- Fuel your mornings with the right breakfast. Enough with last night’s leftovers, its time you get some proper nutrition in your belly. Choose a breakfast that includes protein and fibre – you’ve got a long day ahead.
- Make Weekly Resolutions. Trying to lose your weight overnight won’t work. If you try making too many changes over a short period of time, you’re likely to throw in the towel. Start setting yourself small wins to achieve every week, such as eating a handful more of vegetables daily.
- Reset your idea of portions. Use portion-control tricks such as swapping your usual plate for a salad plate. Remember, the goal is to feel comfortably full – not stuffed.
- Know which carbs to avoid. Avoid processed carbs and foods including ‘white flour, refined grains and added sugars’.
- Stop adding sweeteners. If you must sweeten your morning coffee/tea, use green stevia powder. Alternatively, you could snack on sweet fruits like dates or berries.
- Go easy on the alcohol. A standard beer alone has 150 calories, a standard wine, 85.
- Have a party plan. When it’s time for another party, offer to bring a plate. You can be the friend who brings over freshly chopped veggies and low-fat dip. That way, you and frankly everyone, can binge without the guilt.
- Exercise. It won’t make you shred the weight in one session, or a few for the week. But combine it with persistence and a disciplined diet; you will start seeing results in just 4 weeks.